A night out, once a while, is a stress reliever. A night out with your BFF is even more so, especially when we don't hang that often no more.
So it was a relatively impromptu decision to have dinner and watch Fast & Furious 8 together. A text on Wednesday for a meet up on Thursday. Sitting down to dinner, we started talking, and she started unloading. You know the saying, 'The grass is always greener on the other side"? It's kind of true. So I'd admit, sometimes, I envy her. High paying job, house under her name, a typical family back in Seremban, and someone to spend the rest of her life with.
Yes, I have a relatively high paying job, but, not quite as high; I have a condo, not a house under my name; my family is atypical 'cause mom's the breadwinner, not dad; I've still very much single. Haha. I realize I've been comparing me to her. Doesn't mean I'm not proud of what I've accomplished so far. It's just, sometimes, in comparison...
Materials aside, it's not that big a deal to me. I've gotten where I am today based on my own merits so there's really nothing to whine about. Now, that last bit, is what I sometimes envy, not just her, but everyone else who has this. Yada yada, I know I said I'm not actively searching for a relationship, much less long term. Still.
So she's supposed to get hitched next year. She was telling me about how stressful work is, and that she's seriously considering quitting. On top of work, the wedding planning seems to be stagnant. She shared details on this, and told me, she's already at her limit. If the wedding happens, it's only because she picked up the planning where he left it. She said, she's thinking about breaking up.
Initially, I was shocked. I was like, babe, why? You've been together for what, 7 years? And this behavior of his didn't happen overnight. She said, yes it didn't. But it's getting worse. He was the one who wanted to get married. But where's the effort? Other than making reservations for the restaurant and pre-wedding photoshoot, nothing else is planned. If nothing else is planned, how to send out invites for the wedding?
She unloaded quite a bit yesterday and my heart went out to her. The whole point of this post, I suppose, other than a means for me to somewhat organize my thoughts, is to highlight that sometimes it's good to get out and spend time with friends. Work gets to all of us, one way or another. But we humans are social beings, well, majority of us are. And the occasional human interaction helps. Talking about things that bother you, or even writing them down, helps a lot.
Everyone's life seems rosy on the outside, but that not necessarily true. Appearances can be deceiving. In this time and age, what seems to be may not be what it actually is.
We went for a movie after chatting, and it proved to be the distraction she needed. After the movie, she was all smiles again, and her demeanor changed. That girl is my best friend, and coincidentally my 1st crush ever. Love her to the moon and back again. And I reckon, all I want for her is to be happy. I'd support her in any decision she makes, as long as it's something she wants to do. So if she wants to break up, break up lah!
Yes, I ramble quite a bit and go off track often. Oh. As a post script, Fast & Furious 8 was pretty decent. A tad predictable, but decent enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment